Thursday, August 27, 2009

The gift to end suffering

As part of my large animal rotation, I have to do night emergency duties and overnight critical care treatments. On my last emergency shift, we were called to go out to a farm half an hour away to euthanize a horse. He had injured his left hindlimb and the prognosis was that he would be lame for the rest of his life. His owners were obviously distraught but put on a brave front to put Cowboy down.

We went to the pasture in semi-darkness. It was a really peaceful scene and after sticking the vein, Cowboy went down well.

I feel blessed that in the veterinary world, we are able to have the ability to end an animal's suffering.

And of course this leads me to another case that I saw on critical treatments, the owner spent a long time deliberating on whether to euthanize the horse and the horse just smelt of death. Cold mucous membranes, purple lips and stretched out standing in a very tired position. It was so sad seeing him in such a manner and I hope that he is now in a happier place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home