Saturday, May 02, 2009

What am I busy with..

I have started clinics and this is how first week of A block went:

I am on Diagnostics which is supposed to be the easiest 4 weeks of my fourth year life. It has not panned out as easy as I thought it would be though.

In the mornings, we have classes to teach us what's related in the diagnostics world to taking the board exams and clinical applications. In the afternoon, we will have cases to do necropsies on. Necropsies are equivalent to autopsies in the human world. I have decided for the record that I would not like to have an autopsy performed on me unless the circumstances of my death are very very suspect.

Necropsies are good because it is able to resolve quite a lot of mysteries about death. However, it is just pretty destructive. We have to go in through the ribs, look at the thoracic cavity, look at the gastrointestinal tract and even look at the brain and spinal cord if it died neurologically. (Write to me if you would like to know the exact details of how we perform a necropsy. Some things are better left unwritten. ) Currently, we are in charge of a case a day and write up the report using fancy pathologic terms in the evening. So, that leaves me just a little time before the day ends.

I am on intensive care unit duty in the weekends or necropsy on call after hours as well (We rotate for this so we get 3 shifts every week). Going in for my first ICU duty looking after cows and horses for the weekend from 6 to 12 midnight later tonight.

And oh yes - we have homework from classes as well! Solving cases using blood work data.

Overall, diagnostics is quite like solving a big mystery which brings out the detective in me (LIKE it!).



2 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger snowymelon said...

would you be able to tell the cause of tututu's death if you have a chance to do a necropsies on him?

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Christine said...

There is a chance that by doing a necropsy we will be able to uncover the reason of death. Sometimes, we are not able to though. However, the school has a lot of resources (special equipment, specialists) that is not available back in Singapore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home