Saturday, September 27, 2008

What I am studying this semester


A butt shot from Therio class

I know I haven't posted what I am studying this semester..so, here goes...

1. Therio
Large animal reproduction, Small animal reproduction, Exotic animal reproduction and the list goes on.. Mostly focused on horses because this is where it is most essential. Breedings between US $150 million mares and stallions must be executed properly.

2. Ruminant
Currently focused on cow diarrhea - we had an exam on all of cow diarrhea and it's surprising how much cow diarrhea there is.

3. Companion Animal Medicine
Did oncology, now doing UTIs and avian medicine... My current favorite class because it's small animal - I know I am biased!

4. Toxicology
This one is all about toxic plants and also toxic substances that an animal (mostly dogs because they are the likely culprits) would get into. I know now what I am supposed to do if I get a dog with salt poisoning or chocolate poisoning. We get to go to the poison control center to listen to calls that they get from all over the country and all over the world and that is super cool.

5. Anesthesia
Hmm - very dry but important I guess.

6. Surgery
We get to do our first spays and neuters. And also learn about all the other types of surgeries on cadavers.

7. Dentistry
Elective in second half of the class where we get to work with cadavers again.

8. Clinical procedures class
We go to clinics and try to learn what to do when we get to clinics fourth year. It's not so intimidating this year compared to last semester because of the experience I got over the summer. I even know how to use fancy equipment as I got to use it over the summer. =) Fourth year will be intimidating that I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home