Goldfish Memory
2 weeks into my attachment with the veterinary hospital and I find that I really have a poor memory. Most of the patients that come into the hospital are cases that I have learnt about in just the past semester..meaning that I was just tested on them 2 weeks ago? However, everything has been erased from memory (evident from me haphazardly guessing their treatment modalities when I am being tested by the vet in charge of the hospital).
I think all this cramming for exams is just too much on my brain. My brain is just like a pail of water. It can only accomodate a specific amount of information after which it all goes down the drain especially after the exams.
Fortunately, my boss (the vet) assures me that I will be able to either read up on all the treatments (yes- there is a 5 minute veterinary consult) or else I will remember it for life when I treat my first patient or if my first patient crashes due to an adverse drug reaction.
Into my second week, I am still full of enthusiasm at work. I try to read up on cases that I forgot about when I am home and there is also a lot of learning modules at work which remind of life in my previous company where I had to do all these 'read and understand' policies and procedures. There are tests for each module though and I do think that these modules are rather well created.
So, yes - I am enjoying work albeit the goldfish memory! This week I got to do blood draws as well which is quite exciting. I like it that the vets are always willing to let me try and I guess that I am quite lucky that I picked a good clinc to work for where the vets I am working with are very willing to teach and spend time explaining to me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home