Monday, January 04, 2010

Job searching

It's time for the job search to begin.. I have been talking and thinking about it but have not had much action yet. However, since it's my first block off that I can fully concentrate on it, I should.

I never thought that finding a job would be easy. However, I guess I was lulled into thinking that I would not have such a hard time because my great grand seniors, grand seniors and seniors did not have that hard of a time. There were plenty of jobs out there and lot of companies coming to woo them.

It's time to acknowledge that there are very few jobs out there... a miniscule amount in fact. I think before I started vet school, I was prepared for that as the pet population in Singapore is much smaller. I knew it would be hard to find a job but I didn't think it would be so difficult.

After engineering school, I had no idea what kind of job I really wanted. I just applied for everything under the sun that required a bachelors of chemical engineering. Now, I do know my top choice type of places that I want to work for. That said - most new grads last at most a year in their place of employment before they decide that they need to switch.

What would be my ideal job:

1. More or at least 2 doctors in the practice so that I can bounce ideas off both of them. Two brains are better than one. Willingness to teach!
2. Established practice of > 5 years with good clients who are willing to invest in their pet's health.
3. Busy practice.
4. Have the basic "toys" at least - Radiograph machine (Digital would be awesome!), Orthopedic surgery instruments, Blood machines
5. In a warm climate

Seeing the list, I don't think I am too picky. It's just 5 things right?




1 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, all those except the warm climate part are very good anyway.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home